This article provides steps for the file import process to support importing pledges.
With Church Manager, pledges recorded in a .csv file can be imported into the system. First, prepare the .csv file, typically by exporting your pledge data into this file format. To prepare your pledges for import, ensure the headers in the Required Headers list below are used in your .csv file. Other headers and information can also be listed in the file (e.g., the optional headers listed below), but the Required Headers must appear in the file for successful import.
Preparing the Import File
Note* before the pledges are imported, ensure all givers have assigned envelope numbers in your Online Giving System that are the same as the envelope number you’ve assigned them in Directory.
To import the Pledges, the following headers are required on the .csv file:
- Start Date – date on which the the pledge starts
- Fund Number – number of the fund to which the pledge is attributed
- Envelope Number – envelope number for the family making the pledge
- Amount – amount amount pledged
- Frequency – one time, weekly, biweekly, monthly, quarterly, twice yearly, yearly
The following headers can be added to the .csv file but are not required:
- End Date – date on which the pledge ends
- If no end date is provided the system defaults to the Fund End Date (if present) or Start Date plus 365 days.
- Source – physical, online, or imported
- If the source type is included in the file, the system includes it as that source type otherwise it defaults it to imported.
- ImportedId – identifier for the pledge in the source system to trace the pledge. Must be 26 characters or fewer.
- The ImportedId should be unique for each pledge to aid in tracing the pledge.
Further headers and information are also allowed on the .csv file, as long as the required headers are used.
The below template gives an example of a .csv file with the required headers. You can include optional headers and additional information as desired.
Importing the File
1. In the Giving module, go to File Import.
2. Click Upload Pledges.
3. Select the file and click Open.
4. Click Import File.
5. Results of the import populate in the Pledges Import Summary card.
The Pledge Import Summary card provides:
- The total amount pledged
- How many pledges were imported
- How many had been skipped because they had been previously recorded
- The number of exceptions. (The exceptions can be downloaded if there are any)
The transaction can also be viewed on the File Import History.
If the import cannot be completed, you will receive an error message explaining the the steps to take for a successful import. For example, If all Funds do not have a unique Fund Number, you will be asked to ensure all funds have a unique fund number before attempting to import.
To upload another pledge, click the Upload a New Pledge File icon.
Note* The video is best viewed at full screen. Press Esc on your keyboard when you are finished viewing.